I came across an interesting article the other day about how online dating apps were really meant to keep you in “Single Town” and I think the article may have been on to something.
Nowadays ALL online dating sites are making the claim that they are here to help you meet your soulmate; but their promise of “True Love” seem to continuously miss the mark.
If you were to simply go on google, type in your favorite online dating app with the word “danger” behind it, and clicked on the news icon; there would be plenty of horror stories for you to read, I assure you.
For example, I read that a lady met a guy on a certain online dating app. To be safe, she asked him to meet her at a restaurant with another couple she knew. After dinner, she decided she trusted him enough to drive her home on his motorcycle. While driving on the highway, she somehow fell off and was ran over approximately nine times. Her parents are now suing the man for the death of their daughter. It is still in litigation. I know that may sound like an extreme story, but believe it or not, there were a plethora more that also ended just as badly.
I won’t focus on that, the point of this post was to point out that some of the online dating apps have alluded “publicly” that their goal was for you to remain single, because it keeps them in business. I personally think it is awfully poor form to advertise that you “assist people in finding their soulmate” when ultimately the hidden agenda is to “promote singleness”. There is just something wrong with that picture to me but in their defense, they do not put a weapon to your head and make you participate; they just play on your loneliness instead. *shrug* No difference, right?
There is truly nothing wrong with being single if you want to be, but there is something a little sinister in online dating apps preying on lonely people, while also providing a place for convicted predators to meet and abuse people.
The articles I read were sad, so I wanted to bring awareness of this topic in order to encourage others to research these online dating apps more, and the crimes that surround them.
Alternatives to using Online Dating Apps:
- Eventbrite – Eventbrite is a site that will show you great events in your area or in surrounding cities. You could type in things of interest, such as concerts, cooking classes, open mike, etc… and it will provide you with some dates of upcoming events. Try going out and meeting people that way, at least you may meet someone with a common interest.
- Adventure groups – There is a site called Meetup that allows you to find groups of people that share a common hobby. The groups consist of but are not limited to cycling, rock climbing, hiking, city tours, skiing, bookclub etc… Again, this would place you with a group of people that share a common interest, and even if you don’t meet your soulmate, you may meet a new friend.
- Adult Sports League – Join an adult sports league. If you like softball, kickball, golf, tennis or the like; join a league of people your age and start playing. This would be a great way to exercise and meet new people.
- Coffee Shop – If you like coffee or tea, why not visit a shop or two and see what happens? You could take some work or read a book, but this could be a great opportunity to run into someone new.
- Sports bars – If you like watching sports, sports bars are a great place to eat, hang with friends, have fun and possibly meet new people.
- Say Hi to 10 new people a week – I have read that a great way to meet new people is to set a goal to say hi to at least 10 new people a week. I personally have not tried it, but felt it was still worth mentioning.
Godspeed on your dating journey!
Peep out my three books below!